Where It All Began
Tynan’s pub was first built in 1702 in Kilkenny Ireland. In 1857 it was bought and did up by the Darcy Family, close family relative to the present publican James Coady. In 1912 it was bought by the Tynan family, the Tynans paid 2000 pounds for the bar at that time. The bar would later be bought by the Coady family, James Coady, wife Caith and sisters Breda and Mary. On a trip to Ireland, Publican, Sam Ladki, enjoyed Tynan’s Pub so much, he decided to build an exact replica of Tynan’s in San Diego.
In 2001 the two pubs were twinned in a ceremony held in Kilkenny, Ireland. In attendance was the Lord Mayor of Kilkenny, the Coady family, Alf France – Guinness Development Manager, Michael Kough, Billy O’Sullivan of O’Sullivan Interiors of Waterford, the Loyal Patrons of Tynan’s Pub and Publican, Sam Ladki. In 2002 Twinning ceremonies were also held in San Diego at Dublin Square.
On the banks of Ireland’s meandering River Suir, in Waterford, is the home of O’Sullivan Interiors, Ireland’s most authentic pub design company. Stemming from an area steeped in tradition and historical background, where the River Suir meets the River Nore and the River Barrow to form one of Ireland’s most scenic and treacherous estuaries, fierce Viking raiders created a settlement they called “Vatre Fiord”. This area, that resembled their own Scandinavian land, remains today and is called the City of Waterford.
Another ancient settlement was created in Kilkenny on the River Nore, by the Vikings’ descendants, the Normans. These majestic invaders built castles and courts that dotted Ireland’s landscape, and many of them are still evident today. In the passing of time, the Normans adopted Irish customs, intermarried with local Celts, and, it is said that they became as Irish as the Irish themselves.